Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Joel & Bhavani [Hindu Wedding] Pacific Beach, CA

It's a modern day Romeo and Juliet story... two friends fall in love although they're from different worlds.

It was the big day. Move In Day! Bhavani and Joel were freshmen at the University of California in Irvine and eager to to embark on their college years away from home. Joel noticed a cute girl right across the hall and they became friends. Actually, they became great friends! They spent many late nights talking and getting to know one another when Joel got bitten by the smitten bug! He secretly had a crush on her and thought he would share the secret with a mutual friend, in Spanish. Little did he know that Bhavani understood what he was saying and the secret was out...

It wasn't easy for Joel to get Bhavani to accept his relationship proposals... she had grown up being taught that it was only appropriate for her to date and marry a man of the same faith and culture. But he was steadfast and true to his love for her and persisted to convince her that they could last. Finally, when all was said and done, they made it. They made it many years strong and to the temple where they pledged their lives to each other forever and ever....

This was the first Hindu wedding I've ever photographed and I was so nervous for it because I had no idea what to expect! All I knew was that I couldn't wear shoes and people would be coming and going during the 7 hour ceremony. So I snuck some insoles in my socks and off I went! It turned out to be the most colorful and relaxed wedding. I could be loud, use flash, and I could shoot absolutely anywhere, practically sitting next to the bride and groom! 

The day took place at the Hare Krishna Temple in Pacific Beach, CA on a beautiful sunny day!


Bhavani looked gorgeous adorned in jewels and brilliantly colored flowers!


The first two hours, the couple spent apart. Joel was participating in ceremonies in the temple while Bhavani was isolated to prepare herself mentally and spiritually.

Bhavani and Joel's parents...

Joel is in the temple waiting for his beautiful bride!


Gorgeous blue orchids adorned the tables outside where their guests later enjoyed a traditional Indian meal
In this ritual, Bhavani's brother convinces Joel to stay and marry his sister when Joel gets "cold feet" last minute and tries to bail!


Bhavani is carried into the temple in a basket... I loved this part!


The couple stood separated by a cloth, moments away from seeing each other for the first time!



More ceremony events... everything having its own symbolic meaning to the sacrament of their marriage to one another!







This part was fun... the officiant put one of their rings inside the vase that is also filled with water. The two of them had to compete and see who could get it out first!


Joel and Bhavani stepped on a stone to symbolize that together they can overcome any obstacle that may come their way!


Probably the only event I was familiar with the entire day was cake cutting! :)

I just love the colors! Here they are with their closest friends!

& some family...

I had to photograph the stunning henna art the girls had done for the wedding!

& finally... here are some portraits of Bhavani and Joel at the end of the day. Since they were covered in rice and turmeric by the end of the day, we decided to schedule a "Post-Wedding Shoot" to get more shots of them in their wedding clothes without the yellow! Even still... they're a handsome couple!







Joel and Bhavani, thank you for letting me be a part of your day! Special thanks for educating me throughout the day and being patient with the fact that I had no idea what was going on most of the time! I appreciate your trust in me! I hope you both are enjoying married life so far and I can't wait to see you again!

Lastly, thank you to Ronderick Henry who was my second photographer for this wedding and did an amazing job!

No comments:

Post a Comment